You are not logged in.

jteer

Unregistered

Saturday, August 1st 2015, 2:03pm

Best 2 inch pvc check valve?

My irrigation pump has a 60ft long intake running into the lake with a
pvc check valve and a lake screen on the end. After some priming issues,
I dove out and retrieved the check valve and it is sticking open.

Are there any particular check valves recommended for this type use?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 2nd 2015, 8:23am

You might get some valve by adding a check valve at the pump.

bassadict69

Sunday, August 2nd 2015, 8:48am

If I put the check valve at the pump, will it still be able to pull water the 60ft of plumbing that is beyond the valve running into the lake? I would definitely be easier to pull and clean if I could do that!

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 2nd 2015, 4:45pm

the lack of a foot valve isn't an issue unless the height of suction lift is significant - I've had suction lines over 50 feet long, with only a check valve at the pump - did it that way so that the suction line could be drained for the winter while not needing to be handled

a good brand of foot valves is Flomatic

bassadict69

Sunday, August 2nd 2015, 7:39pm

Suction height is 8-10 ft

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, August 3rd 2015, 12:46pm

That's a bit more height than I try to work with, but not likely an issue. In fact, with a good electric motor, it might never be an issue. The one instance where I found a foot valve to be all but a necessity was when I was pumping water from a hand-dug well with an engine-driven utility pump. At a 20-foot lift, and no foot valve, the small gasoline engine began making noises like it was going to throw a rod. With a foot valve, the alarming engine noises ceased and pumping from the 20-foot lift proceeded normally.

Without a foot valve, there might priming issues, since you won't be able to pour water into the pump, and fill the suction line. I use Goulds jet pumps when I can, and they handle air without problems. Other brands, maybe not so easily. YMMV

Rate this thread