You are not logged in.

MTjoe

Tuesday, June 30th 2015, 6:57pm

System design, on a well, through a hose hydrant

I am planning a system now and am looking for ideas. I have the following: Well system with the line to the house approximately 6 feet deep, entering the house through the center of the basement slab; 14.5 GPM through the two hydrants (one in the front of the house, other in the back); water pressure 60 psi; sloped hillside; 10 total zones (two are drip); 43 total heads on the eight zones. The system was created by the Rainbird service.

How should I build the connection from each of the hydrants into the valve box? In other words, how do I connect the threaded end of the hose bib to the line in the ground and the 1" poly? The front is relatively flat with the back sloping up. I was thinking to run 1" poly up the slope (above the highest head), build the back flow preventer, then back to the valve box.

We are in a cold weather environment and will need to be able to disconnect the system from the hydrant each season as well as blow out the system.

Joe

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 1st 2015, 7:31am

You would connect the sprinkler supply line just downstream of the pressure tank in the basement, and not to any hose bib. You want the most direct connection you can make.

MTjoe

Wednesday, July 1st 2015, 9:44am

Okay, I thought about that and I guess that should give me better volume. The original owner/builder put in 1" poly lines pre run to the outside of the house from the basement. Can you confirm that it would be best to rerun these lines with blue PEX pipe for the interior portion of the house? I do get great volume out of the hydrants because they are run from the top of the well, not from the inside of the house. This is going to be a chore. Thanks for the advice,

Joe

Just went down into the basement and I think the piping that the original builder is pretty solid stuff, not poly. It should work. Says Eagle 3408 and is 160 psi 1" line. Probably the same stuff that is running from the well to the house.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "MTjoe" (Jul 1st 2015, 10:23am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 1st 2015, 10:40am

PEX is going to be copper tube size. Before the prices went way up, it was an easy call to select copper for the indoor plumbing. Now you could go with PEX for economy. A much more obscure option nowadays would be to use CPVC pipe in its iron-pipe-size version. You no longer see it in home centers, because they all favor the copper-tube-size (FlowGuard Gold) that works with the push-on fittings like Sharkbite. CPVC in the IPS version glues together just like regular white PVC (which is not approved for indoor use) using the specific CPVC cement, and will give better flow than PEX of the same size.

Rate this thread