You are not logged in.

1145trnj

Monday, June 8th 2015, 9:47am

Pump cycles

My sprinkler motor, a Gould JL10N casing cracked over the winter. I replaced it along with a few gaskets while I had the motor open. I had to re-do some PVC areas & all is leak free. However, my pump loses pressure & cycles around every 5 minutes. I don't see wet zone areas either by any of the sprinkler heads? I checked the air tank & no leaks there either? Any suggestions as to what could be causing the pressure drop? I guess it has to be between the pump & zone valves but I am at a loss right now. ?(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 8th 2015, 11:51am

did you replace any check valves?

1145trnj

Monday, June 8th 2015, 12:39pm

No. Mechanical seal & 2 gaskets.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 8th 2015, 1:31pm

If everything else is perfect, a faulty check valve will leak pressurized water back to the source, setting the stage for cycling.

1145trnj

Monday, June 8th 2015, 2:19pm

Is there a way to check or is replacement the way to go? I ask this because it means dealing with a lot of PVC again! 8|

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 8th 2015, 2:54pm

Union fittings might simplify the work.

You might have a zone valve that leaks. That would also sap water pressure.

1145trnj

Tuesday, June 9th 2015, 7:10am

Thank you. I will try to get to it this afternoon. I will keep you posted with my findings. Appreciate all of the advise. :)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, June 9th 2015, 8:28am

Hopefully, you have a good shutoff valve between the tank and the system, so you can eliminate a zone valve as the problem.

1145trnj

Tuesday, June 9th 2015, 8:58am

Actually it's brand new - installed last year. I haven't checked the system by shutting that off. I will do that now. Again, thanks for the advise. :D

1145trnj

Wednesday, June 10th 2015, 6:00am

Wet Boots, that was a fantastic suggestion. I turned the valve & saw that the pressure in the pump/tank area held. Didn't move at all, thus targeting the zones as the issue. I opened all of the zone valves one-by-one and flushed them. One zone seemed to stick open longer so I had to open twice. That seemed to do the trick. System ran over night. Pressure is holding steady with no further constant cycling. Thank you very much for your help. :thumbsup:

Rate this thread