You are not logged in.

Melandre

Unregistered

Monday, June 8th 2015, 2:33pm

Sprinkler system works when it feels like it...

Hi, I have an older (18 years old) system and it has been acting weirdly over the last 2 years. This year, I tested the system for the first time on Saturday morning by manually setting Zone 1 to go for 6 minutes and Zone 2 for 5 minutes. The sprinkler heads popped right up and watering occur as planned 6 and 5 minutes respectively.
Because I had this intermittent working problem last year, I decided to re-test the system again on Sunday morning (same setting as Saturday). This time the heads did not pop up at all for Zone 1 and I can't remember if it did for Zone 2 (I think it did).
This is a recurring problem from last year: essentially it goes from either not working at all to working for a minute or two (even thought he timer is for 10 minutes or more) to working for the full allocated amount of time. This "works some days but don't work other days" is driving me nuts as it is very hard (at least for me) to diagnose. Any ideas what may cause this weird issue? Andre

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 8th 2015, 2:54pm

City water or well water?

Melandre

Unregistered

Monday, June 8th 2015, 6:33pm

City water or well water?
City water... According to the User's Manual, the system is a 6 valve controller by Irritrol Systems.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, June 8th 2015, 9:39pm

Heads not popping up does not necessarily mean the controller is faulty. Bad heads. Bad valves. Faulty wiring. All possible reasons for poor operation.

mrfixit

Tuesday, June 9th 2015, 3:13am

Redo all the wire connections at the valves and any splices that you know of.
Also check the common wire connection at the controller. It might be loose.
Check them all while you're at it.

Rate this thread