You are not logged in.

TJS

Wednesday, May 20th 2015, 5:09pm

Plow through gravel driveway?

I have a newly construction house. I have to either separate the valve locations, (front and back yard) or go under the driveway with 4 runs.
Having two control valve locations looks like the easier way out, unless I can plow through the driveway.
My driveway isn't poured yet so I have a few feet (depth) of large #3 stone, topped with 6" traffic bond.
My question is: Can a vibratory plow cut and pull through compacted #3 stone (#3 stone is larger than a golf ball size) for 18 feet or am I asking for trouble?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, May 21st 2015, 7:16am

Leave the driveway alone. Go the long way around.

TJS

Friday, May 22nd 2015, 7:51am

Leave the driveway alone. Go the long way around.

Yeah, I guess. It's just an extra 250' X 4 runs then. Not to mention the meandering I'll have to do to stay away from other lines.
With all of the rock I have in the soil, I was hoping for an easy way out. I could trench 6" deep in the driveway by hand, but that's work too and I would worry about concrete cracks after I monkey with the base prior to pour.
Looks like I'll spend some quality time with the plow! ;(

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Friday, May 22nd 2015, 8:53am

You can always hire an underground boring service to fit a sleeve under the driveway.

Or a time machine so you could install that sleeve yourself, before any of the driveway work began. :D

You can save the expense of a couple of rolls of pipe if you designed the system with a mainline and a master valve.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (May 22nd 2015, 10:36am)