You are not logged in.

kevin79

Sunday, May 3rd 2015, 4:26pm

Sprinkler pump has low, varying psi (depends on zone)

I purchased a house last year and have been dealing with low pressure on my underground sprinklers. I didn't put the system in so I don't know a whole lot about it other than it has a pump and is fed off of a well, it is the only thing that is few fed off of the well. My zones with the number of heads and PSI are below.

Zone 1 has 5 heads. The PSI fluctuates between 25 and 28.
Zone 2 has 3 heads. The PSI fluctuates between 23 and 28.
Zone 4 has 5 heads. The PSI fluctuates between 13 and 18.
Zone 5 has 4 heads. The PSI fluctuates between 15 and 20. The zone is the farthest away from the pump.
Zone 6 has 4 heads. The PSI fluctuates between 22 and 28. The zone is the closest to the pump.

Is there a way to get more PSI for my zones? My pump has a 1.5 HP motor. It is a Water Ace R15L. http://www.wilesroad.com/wateracepdf.pdf

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 7:44am

Is this a well point? Your pump is a standard centrifugal, and they don't put out high pressure. A different pump can deliver higher pressure, but the system wasn't designed for it, so higher pressure might be unnecessary. The one zone with low pressure might have a leak.

kevin79

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 10:05am

Is this a well point?
I'm not sure if it is, I think it is.

The one zone with low pressure might have a leak.
I will have to check but I didn't see any water pooling any where.

If I don't need high pressure, is there a way to get better coverage with my sprinklers other than adding new zones/heads? Right now, my front yard had 4 heads and the middle and each corner doesn't have any coverage. The overlap is non-existent. I also hear hissing and/or my heads pop up and down when the zones run.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 11:08am

Well points can clog up and ruin performance. If nothing else is broken, the point becomes prime suspect, along with a falling water table. You can't do anything about the water table, but you can try to backflush the point.

kevin79

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 12:10pm

I saw your post on flushing the well Low Pressure: Is it the pump, shallow well, or something else?. What if I don't have a connection to backflush it?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, May 5th 2015, 12:51pm

You would have to re-plumb the pump, if you don't already have a backflushing connection. You'd need to replace an elbow and pipe with a tee and pipe and a union (assuming your existing install has an elbow at the well point)

kevin79

Friday, May 15th 2015, 8:12am

I thought I would update this. I had someone out to look at this. They acid flushed my well, replumbed it so that I have a T in case I need to test again and now I'm constantly getting around 35PSI. Zones cover a lot better too.

Rate this thread