You are not logged in.

Jmeyer

Sunday, March 15th 2015, 4:48pm

Valve or controller?

Upon turning my sprinkler system on for the first time this year, suddenly three of the five zones don't work. Zones 2 & 4 work while 1,3, 5 do not. I opened the underground box and tried turning them on manually and again only two of the five work. I find it hard to believe that I had three valves go bad over the winter. One, maybe two, but three!? I've been doing research but nothing seems to be working. Took the valves apart everything appears clean and in working order. Traded solenoids on zones three and four and again zone 4 came on (said zone 3 on controller since I switched them). Three did not come on (appeared as zone four). Everything in box is covered with dirt, not easy to get to. I was hoping there was something to try before I tried replacing valves. Again, hard to believe three of five went bad through the winter. Thanks for any help.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, March 16th 2015, 8:03am

You can start by digging out that valve box, so you can properly service the system without getting dirt into the zone pipes. You might try using a wet-dry canister vacuum, which would let you blast water at the dirt, with the vacuum removing the resulting muddy water.

Also, the make and model of the valves in question would help, not to mention your location (saves us asking just how cold did it get)

Jmeyer

Monday, March 16th 2015, 3:19pm

The valves are Irritrol 2400T. Pulled one apart and the ring on the inside looked in good condition. When I pulled the solenoid off with the water on, water came through. But when I screw the solenoid back in and try to turn the valve on manually, nothing. I'm from Nebraska. Gets cold but it was actually a pretty mild winter this year. I'm about to go out right now, with a multimeter, to check some of the conections on the control box.

Jmeyer

Monday, March 16th 2015, 4:03pm

Receiving 24V to each zone in the control box. Don't know if there is anything else to check before replacing valves.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, March 16th 2015, 5:01pm

Turn the water off. Remove one of the solenoids from a non-working valve turn it upside down so you can see the solenoid plunger and keeper ring. Touch the solenoid plunger and try to push it inwards. Does it move, or does it resist your efforts? Compare it to a solenoid from a valve that still works.

Jmeyer

Wednesday, March 18th 2015, 3:12pm

Solenoids push in fairly easily on both working and non-working zones. Also if I switch them the same zones kick on with either solenoid.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 19th 2015, 7:43am

Looks like you need to open up the valves and examine their innards. (this is where the valve box cleanup proves its worth) Take some photos of the failed valves.

Jmeyer

Saturday, March 21st 2015, 4:03pm

Bit the bullet and ordered new valves on Thursday. They are supposed to show up tomorrow (Sunday). I was doing some landscaping today near one of the sprinkler heads in a zone that is working, so I went to controller to turn on and make sure the head would come up and work okay. As I switched it to that zone, the ones that don't work came on. Everything is working fine now. I have no clue what is going on, but at least everything works now. Just hope I can return the valves.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, March 21st 2015, 5:33pm

Could be that you had ice in the valves. What I was expecting you to find were freeze-damaged solenoids.

For what it's worth, digging out the dirt from the valve box(s) will give you some temperature protection, because the deeper a valve box is, the more heat they pull from the soil below the frost line.

Rate this thread