You are not logged in.

jeffs_garden

Unregistered

Sunday, January 11th 2015, 12:56pm

Need some help with an irrigation plan

Hi,
I'm in the design phase of a garden and need some advice about
how to irrigate. This might be a little more involved than is typical because I want to not
only run a sprinkler or drip system to the garden, but I also need to supply water to maybe four
to eight of these - Scarecrow-Activated-Sprinkler
or something similar. By the way; if you sell this product or something like it, I'd be happy to buy from you
if your pricing is reasonably in-line with competitors. It can be a bit more expensive and I'd be happy to pay a difference if I can get some good advice here.
I was looking at this sprinkler (strictly for critter defense), not watering. - "Contech CRO101 Scarecrow Motion Activated Sprinkler ". I'd rather use this than an expensive fence. I'm thinking of using these and a cheap bunny fence as an extra deterrent.
So these scarecrow sprinklers will require constant water pressure. I could run another sprinkler line
out to the garden, but that would not seem to work because the watering needs to be on a timer of some kind
and that would inhibit my Scarecrows from working. My goal is to run only one water line to the garden that
will serve both the scarecrows and the irrigation system. So, it seems to me that I could not run this off
of my existing sprinkler timer. I have used battery powered timers in the past that worked ok. I can splice into
my deep well right at where the sprinkler system taps in. I'm guessing I'll have to install a T at the garden with
one direction going to the Scarecrows and the other controlled by a timer or other control device for the irrigation.
I have not decided whether to go with a sprinkler or drip system yet and would like advice about that.
I assume that drip is preferred due to the efficiency of it, but I don't know what kind of hassle it might be to
till or weed around the hoses. I have no idea if the drip hoses can be easily moved, etc. This is my first official garden.
It will probably be about 1/6 acre, but I have not decided the exact dimensions yet.
I'd sure appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

Edited by Wet_Boots to fix link

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Wet_Boots" (Jan 12th 2015, 8:33am)

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, January 12th 2015, 8:58am

your Scarecrow sprinklers are designed to be a hose-end product with a constant water supply, so you would plumb them with a garden hose if at all possible, so as to be able to take it all indoors before winter.

A different version of this might be possible by way of a conventional motion detector feeding a relay that would activate a zone of the sprinkler system, but that would be up to you to devise, as no commercially available products exist to make that happen, this side of a computerized home automation system.

jeffs_garden

Unregistered

Monday, January 12th 2015, 9:55am

your Scarecrow sprinklers are designed to be a hose-end product with a constant water supply, so you would plumb them with a garden hose if at all possible, so as to be able to take it all indoors before winter.
I do know that the sprinklers need to be disabled in the winter and that they're
meant for hose, but I might want to run pvc with hose adapters just so I don't have
to worry about hoses bursting and things like that. I'd probably just remove the sprinklers
in the winter.
Anyone have any thoughts on drip vs sprinkler ?
Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Monday, January 12th 2015, 12:47pm

Sprinklers you can see operating, and drip, you can't, unless the emitters are above grade, or are fitted with extension tubing ending above grade. Drip irrigation for lawn watering is not cost effective.

jeffs_garden

Unregistered

Thursday, January 15th 2015, 5:20am

drip hose

Sprinklers you can see operating, and drip, you can't, unless the emitters are above grade, or are fitted with extension tubing ending above grade. Drip irrigation for lawn watering is not cost effective.

Thanks. I'll have to bone up on how drip hose is installed so that I understand.
I assumed it was laid on the ground, but you're talking "above grade" emitters, so I assume that
means the hose might be installed below the ground.