You are not logged in.

dahlheim

Saturday, August 2nd 2014, 4:06pm

Toro Irrigation Valve Part Number # 53285

I am looking for at least 3 of these valves, and/or the diaphragm (53349). I have been fairly unsuccessful finding them on an internet search, as it is a discontinued product. I know there are way better designs at this point, but it will take much more work for me in landscape redesign ( rip up 2 brick pathways) to not have a direct replacement. Any help would be much appreciated.

mrfixit

Saturday, August 2nd 2014, 5:49pm

Just out of curiosity, why do you need to rip up 2 brick pathways to replace 3 anti-syphon valves?
Maybe you could post a couple of pictures and we can suggest ways to replace the valves.
Go to www.tinypic.com to post pictures.
The only thing I can figure is your valves are down below ground level.

I say replace the valves because they're horrible valves. There's a reason they were discontinued 20 plus years ago.
The odds of finding parts are very slim. You never know though. Maybe someone who reads this forum will know. I looked online for an hour

Here's a very old post talking about the valve. 53285 valve

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 3rd 2014, 8:59am

Anyone with repair skills should want a valve that parts can actually be had for. Toro has zero interest in maintaining some of their marginal products because they bought out a competitor that had designs worth manufacturing. The Irritrol 2711APR is the 3/4-inch antisyphon valve that will be manufactured and maintained now and into the future.

dahlheim

Sunday, August 3rd 2014, 11:21am

Toro Valve 53285

The reason for my need for this valve, is because of the design which allows me to replace one in minutes (union nut in the middle of the body), and because of it's really compact size, I have 2 crowded sprinkler boxes, with 6 valves in each box. All of the quality replacement valves have a much bigger size, and therefore a much wider spread. I will have to remove the boxes, to redo the manifold, and I have bricked around these boxes too tightly. As bad as these valves reputation is, all 12 are in daily operation since 1994, and this is my first problem I have had. Maybe I get lucky and someone will suggest a place that still has parts. If not, what would be a set of valves to switch over to, that will have a good reputation of supplying spare parts for years?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 3rd 2014, 1:12pm

You cannot, repeat, cannot, repeat, cannot place antisyphon valves in below-grade valve boxes. That practice is a safety hazard and a code violation.

You need to clean up the mess and have something proper doing the job of protecting the water supply.

mrfixit

Sunday, August 3rd 2014, 2:19pm

You could stagger the height of the valves so they'll fit side by side.
Cut all 6 valves off, raise the pipes up out of the ground and glue on the new valves.
You could put one of those fake rocks over them if aesthetics is an issue.
I'd measure the distance between the two ports of the old valves so the new valves fit well and they don't stress out the manifold by bending the pipes too much. The pipes and fittings are very old.
I've been known to install 1" valves on 3/4 inch pipe just so I don't stress out the manifold. The 1" valves are a tad longer than the 3/4".
As far as size of the valves go, Hunter probably has the narrowest anti-syphon valves but I prefer the Irritrol valves.

Good luck!

da

Unregistered

Saturday, August 16th 2014, 10:12am

Irrigation valves

What application requires the use of anti siphon valves versus an inline valve without anti siphon?

Rate this thread