You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.




Sunday, April 13th 2014, 5:13pm

Want to water 2 sections of my yard

I have 8 small fruit trees about 100 ft from the house and faucet, i want to set up 1 or 2 sprinkler heads to water these trees. I also have a small garden about 50 ft from the house and same water faucet.

I have always run hoses, but they are a hassle. I would like to run 2 separate underground sets of sprinklers to the 2 different locations. I want to do it myself, and was hoping to be able use my outside faucet for the water source.

My questions:
1.Can everything i need be bought at home depot or lowes, or does it need to be ordered/purchased at a more specialty type place?

2. What do i need in order to do this?

I was hoping to have some sort of single input that i could hook into the faucet, and have a switch somewhere near the faucet connection that can direct the water to either line 1 (tree patch) or line 2 (garden)

I am thinking i need some sort of splitter to direct water to line 1 or line 2, 150 feet of hosing (100 ft to the tree patch and 50 ft to the garden)

For line 1, i would need 2sprinklers, the area is not level, so i would like sprinklers that were about a foot above ground level.

For line 2, i would only need 1sprinkler and the ground is more level.

3. Can this be done hooking into my normal outdoor faucet? Is there enough pressure? There is enough pressure now, using garden hoses and basic sprinklers, do i need a different water source for an underground system?

4. I am in Maine, do i need to consider anything else to allow for our cold winters? Or just keep the hoses 16" underground?

Oh, i know nothing about irrigation systems but would prefer to do it myself. I would not be opposed to just running spickets out to the 2 areas, and just hooking small hoses and sprinklers out there, but would rather have a neater setup if possible.

Thanks for any info or guidance.


Supreme Member

Posts: 4,223

Location: Metro NYC


Monday, April 14th 2014, 10:18am

You can run a small system from an outdoor faucet. A pro install from a faucet would use brass fittings and adapters to split the faucet outlet so that there is still a hose bib (to be used for winterizing the sprinklers, if nothing else) along with a 3/4-inch pipe female thread to feed plastic anti-syphon valves that operate the separate zones of the system you'll install.

You don't worry about winter cold, as it applies to pipe burial depth, since you will be blowing all the water out of the system with an air compressor come fall, before it can freeze and cause damage.




Monday, April 14th 2014, 6:00pm

Thanks wet boots, can i get this stuff at a big box store, or so i need to get it elsewhere?


Supreme Member

Posts: 4,223

Location: Metro NYC


Tuesday, April 15th 2014, 9:02am

There is only guessing as to what a big home center might have that would be useful. They tend to not have pro-quality irrigation supplies, although a few items made for the home center market are identical to pro equipment, differing only in brand name and color. At least the brass fittings for splitting the water supply will be found there.




Wednesday, April 16th 2014, 5:22am

Thanks, as i mentioned, i am clueless in this area, do you have any suggestions on a place or site to purchase what i need?, thanks again wb

Central Irrigation

Supreme Member

Posts: 351

Location: Central Minnesota


Wednesday, April 16th 2014, 8:32am

There's a site called Sprinkler Warehouse that carries a lot of sprinkler parts. Check the category labeled Hose-End Products.

Rate this thread