You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

miketg

Starting Member

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 7:57am

valve wiring

Dear sir, I have a long yard- about 1 acre, but only 100 feet wide. I have a shed over the well pump, and so wish to base the sprinkler system (put the timer, and main manifold) there. I am planning multiple flower beds all over, front yard and back. I am considering a 12 zone or more timer, since I am maxxed out at 1" pipe. (The pump has a 1" output). A more efficient idea as I see it is to run only a few pipes to remote locations and put in manifolds with multiple valves in those locations. My question is, how long a run can the wiring handle? All I need to do is bury a 250' run of pipe with associated wiring to a remote station with 6 valves, only to find I don't have enough juice to turn on the valves. My other option would be to run 6 250' pipes, see?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, October 3rd 2012, 9:36am

Just because a pump has a one inch outlet doesn't mean you are limited to one inch pipe in the sprinkler system. As for wire, you can expect to run 18-gauge irrigation multiconductor cable over 500 feet, and no worries.

Actually, there are worries for very long runs of underground control wire, due to expansion and contraction. Lay it loosely in a trench, and space valve boxes no more than a hundred feet apart, and have plenty of slack in the valve boxes.

Rate this thread