You are not logged in.


New Member


Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 4:45pm

So, whats the most common method of connecting sprinkler heads to pvc pipe. Or let me back up, when using pvc, do most installers use a trencher (so the trench is open and you can easily move the pipe around) or a vibratory trencher (which, based on what your saying, would be harder to tap into). Seems like the vib. trencher makes more sense for the poly pipe.

In terms of tapping into the pipe these seem the way to go for poly:

And for non-200 pvc seems like you would do a 't' off the pipe then use barbs and adapters to the sprinkler head. Or use these:



Tuesday, July 10th 2012, 4:59pm

Trenching depends on soil, for one thing. Vibratory trenchers are used in areas with workable soil.
I'm in Houston Tx and we have lovely dark, hard, sticky clay. It laughs at vibratory trenchers.

Pipe selection depends on region also. Hard freeze areas (Wisconsin, New York) use flex pipe. The ground temperatures there would make pvc brittle and it would break with any ground shift.

Here we use PVC. It's cheap. Ground freezing is a concept totally alien to us.

I don't have experience with snap/tap situations. I've been told by others on this forum that you use barbed 'T's for your installation and that saddle taps are for retrofit and repair.

What 'non-200' pvc are you referring to?


New Member


Wednesday, July 11th 2012, 8:47am

Oh I meant regular off the shelf pvc from the big box stores. But it looks like the Kwik Slip adapters work with both types of PVC.

Being in Northern VA vib. trenchers are commonly used and preferred due to less mess/damage to existing grass. Of the professional installers I talked to its a pretty even split between using pvc and poly. Either way you have to winterize the lines.

Similar threads

Rate this thread