You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


New Member


Friday, July 6th 2012, 12:05pm

how to replace control valve?

I need to replace 3 Toro valves (circa 1985 I think), each one buried in a different place, each one being plastic, inline, lateral orientation attached to 1" PVC about 14"-15" below grade.

My sprinkler guy recommended Irritol 205S as he believes these are high quality valves which I plan on getting. My ques has to do with the actual installation of same. After cutting out each old valve, how do I insert the new valve - given that the pvc pipes have no "give." The only solution I can think of is to dig up the pipe running from the valve to the first sprinkler head and replace the entire section (so as to provide the necessary lateral or vertical "give" I need to attach and glue to the coupler on the output side of the valve. Is there an easier solution??


Supreme Member

Posts: 309

Location: Northern New Jersey


Friday, July 6th 2012, 12:27pm

Gotta dig up pvc just enough to make the proper connection.


New Member


Friday, July 6th 2012, 1:01pm

OK. Dumb question - how much is "just enough"?

Are there flex couplers that you can squeeze together, insert in the gap between the pvc pipes, then stretch out to attach/glue to the pipes?


Friday, July 6th 2012, 1:55pm

"how much is "just enough"?"

Varies. If pipe is schedule 40 then dig a lot.
Class 200 is more flexible.
Then it depends on soil and how much give it has.
This is one of those 'dig until have dug enough' situations.

Do you have to replace the whole valve? If you can find an identical couldn't you switch the guts and top and leave the body in place?

"stretch couplers" Check out Quik Fix and Pipe Fix . Also compression fittings.
I'm not fond of these in constant pressure pipes, as in before the valve. However, I've used them a great deal after the valve.


New Member


Friday, July 6th 2012, 3:22pm

Good answer, Gator. Thanks.

Yes, I'm dealing with sch 40 in clay soil 14-15" deep, times 3. Thus, it sounds like my initial idea to dig most, if not all, the pipe from the valve to the first spklr head is "enough."

Thanks too for the info on possible products that can be used on the output side of the valve that I can check out.


New Member


Friday, July 6th 2012, 3:38pm

p.s. GatorGuy -

My sprinkler guy recommends to never try to repair/rebuild an old contractor-grade valve; always replace with a current, quality-grade valve such as Irritol. A bit more work, he says, but considerably less potential frustration.


Friday, July 6th 2012, 4:51pm

"... clay soil 14-15" deep,..."
You know, they rent some pretty big backhoes....

You have my sympathy.


Supreme Member

Posts: 309

Location: Northern New Jersey


Friday, July 6th 2012, 6:32pm

Just enough - you will know. Those stretch fittings will save a lot of digging.


Supreme Member

Posts: 5,298

Location: Metro NYC


Saturday, July 7th 2012, 1:16pm

Consider using unions for both inlet and outlet - also consider the Irritrol 2500F valves instead of the 205 series (a wee bit more reliable)

Rate this thread