You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

shawnpst

Saturday, June 30th 2012, 2:49pm

Rainbird Conundrum

Only two stations work - 6 & 7. I've plugged the field wires for stations 6 & 7 into the other stations at the controller and stations 6 and 7 will work. These are closest stations to the controller. I plug the field wires for stations 1 thru 5 & 8 into the receptor for station 6 and nothing comes on. I've run a wire from controller station 1 to the field bundle, bypassing the existing field wire for station 1. Nothing comes on. The field wire for Station 6 is bundled with the others in the field, so I think the ground is good that far. Any ideas?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 30th 2012, 5:35pm

What are the results of your resistance tests of the zone wiring, that you made at the controller? You do have a multimeter, right?

mrfixit

Saturday, June 30th 2012, 5:48pm

Is the water turned on to the valves that don't work?
Since the valves are farther away from the controller than the valves that work it could easily be the ground wire. Check all the connections. Even at the valves that work.
Do any digging recently?

shawnpst

Saturday, June 30th 2012, 7:03pm

Wet boots, have a multiple-meter but not sure I'm using it correctly. What readings should I expect?

Mr. Fixit, not lately. In the boxes I've opened, all the wires seem connected. I tried wiring around the ground (with ajump wire from the box) but then nothing worked.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, June 30th 2012, 7:14pm

a working zone would show the solenoid resistance of about 20-to-50 ohms

shawnpst

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 7:07am

All zones show about the same-about 20 ohms.

shawnpst

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 7:39am

The ohms readings on the field wires for the working zones and the common are very different (further right on the meter) than the others

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 10:13am

There may be a wiring fault in the common leading to the non-working valves.

shawnpst

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 5:24pm

How do I check those?

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, July 1st 2012, 6:19pm

My guess: run wire from controller common to non working valves.

Rate this thread