You are not logged in.

njitgrad

Unregistered

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 1:32pm

how to determine irrigation layout

Complete noob here. I bought my house last summer and the previous (and original) owner of the home (ca. 1982) did not have a map containing the irrigation system layout for me. I am in the process of looking to purchase a large 20x30 canopy tent as an investment (for parties and such) and am concerning about striking a water line in my backyard with anchoring pins (there are about fourteen 24" long anchoring pins).

Just after I moved in last year I had some heads replaced/relocated by a local irrigation company. As I was watching them dig up and reroute some lines, I noticed that they were of the black flexible tubing type.

How will I know if I struck/punctured a water line with an anchoring pin?

Is there a way to figure out my layout by logical deduction?

I would assume that any straight line (give or take a foot in either direction) from one head to another (on the same zone) has a high probability of being in the path.

Any suggestions?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 1:54pm

Dig your anchor points by hand.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 8:38am

Two feet long? You can buy or rent a post hold digger and be very careful.

But if you do puncture one, it's very easy to fix. Just cut a two inch piece, take to Lowes/HD and get couplings and stainless steel worm clamps to fit.

njitgrad

Unregistered

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 10:30am

Let me clarify...the tent is not a permanent fixture...i plan to take it down after every social event. Therefore I will be driving the anchor pins down with a hammer and removing them when the event is over.

The question I still have is how will I know if I punctured a line though?

ReddHead

Advanced Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 11:01am

Let me clarify...the tent is not a permanent fixture...i plan to take it down after every social event. Therefore I will be driving the anchor pins down with a hammer and removing them when the event is over.

The question I still have is how will I know if I punctured a line though?

Put the spikes in the ground, remove spikes, turn on zones, see if water comes out of the holes.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 12:39pm

Getting back to your first question, turn on the zone that controls the heads in the tent area. The shortest distance between two points is a straight line and that is likely where the lines run. They should be buried at least 6 inches. I would then not worry too much as the spikes are thin, and the probability....etc......

Or

You can dig a bit now to see where the lines are and then you know forever.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, February 29th 2012, 7:14pm

If the black poly pipe is not too deep, break it at will and don't sweat it. If you want a surer thing, look to anchor a tent in a different way than by anchor pins you screw into the ground.

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Thursday, March 1st 2012, 8:09am

If you will use this tent often try this. Dig a square hole deep enough. Put in a box with no sides. Fill with concrete to 3 inches below soil. Add stainless steel eyehook. "Best" anchor you can have.

Rate this thread