You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 7:57pm

Next up is electrical testing of the system in operation, with emphasis on the AC current drawn by the valves. Also, you want to measure the resistance of an entire zone's wiring, which includes the wiring to and from the controller, along with the solenoid.

mrfixit

Saturday, January 7th 2012, 9:08pm

Ok you don't have a master valve so that's ruled out. Master valves need wires.

Can you run the sprinklers manually via the controller? Which controller do you have?

Where abouts in Cal do you live? I'm only asking because I'm from Cal.

----

I didn't know you had replied when I left this post Boots. Wasn't the first time. Wont be the last.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrfixit" (Jan 8th 2012, 1:09am)

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 6:31am

Check common wire at controller?

EDIT: No should be ok since you installed new controller, etc.

Can you check common wire conductivity from controller to a valve?

dtirey

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 9:48am

I'm located in San Diego. Here is my plan today. I'm going to recheck all voltage and resistance readings. However, my first step is to elminate the wiring portion. I'm going to run an extension cord to the valves and hook each solenoid to the controller, elminating the wiring. This should tell me if I have a problem with the wiring.
That being said, I had a pool installed a couple of months ago and I know the hit the wiring. Everything was fixed (spliced), and has worked fine every since. I have already checked the wiring. Yesterday, I took readings of each wire to ground and read OL. I then shorted on side of the wire and took readings and read a short. So, that shows me the wiring is good. I will start over and do this again. I will let you know what I find today. Thanks

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "dtirey" (Jan 8th 2012, 10:20am)

dtirey

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 11:11am

Ok, all. I definetly have a wiring problem. I ran the extension cord to the sprinkler valves and hooked both controllers (old and new) on station. I then connected each station to the control, elminating the main cable. Everything worked perfectly. So, the good news is I can take back the new controller. My next task is to test each lead on the cable. Hopefully, I have a couple good ones. It will be suck to rerun that cable since it is under brand new concrete. FML

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 12:14pm

Hopefully you can atatch new cable to old and pull it under the concrete.

dtirey

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 2:35pm

Problem solved. I retook resistance readings on all 7 wires in the cable. My common cable was reading pretty low and didn't get any tone on the continuty test, but the other 6 wires were good. So, I swapped it, rewired my valves and everything worked fine. If not, this would have sucked because when they ran he cable they didn't run it through PVC, so pulling the cable would have been impossible unless I tore up the concrete. Again, thanks everyone for your help.
Dave

Mitchgo

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 4:17pm

Good thing you had a spare wire

mrfixit

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 7:40pm

Isn't that what someone suggested you try in the very first reply of this post? 8)

wsommariva

Supreme Member

Sunday, January 8th 2012, 7:47pm

Great Dave.

Rate this thread