You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

John199

Sunday, August 14th 2011, 3:57pm

Rain Bird ESP-LX Mystery

I have a Rain Bird ESP 12LX controller that is suddenly not working at all. There is power to the controller. I have used a multimeter to check voltage in, which is between 25-30 volts. The display is the same as always. The system has been off, but plugged in, for a couple of weeks as I have had to clean out the valves after a new well installation sent debris throughout the system, and I had rust and dirt in some valves. So now I got the valves cleaned and everything is set, and the controller won't turn on any of the zones. I tried individual zones and the test program. Nothing turns on.

So I opened the control box, manually turned on zone 1 and checked voltage which was 30 volts. What was so confusing was that I put the probe on each zone, and they all read 30 volts. Turn off zone 1, no voltage at all zones. Turn on any zone number, all zones read 30 volts, at the controller. No valves actually open and no water comes out anywhere.

I unplugged the controller and removed the battery, and let it sit for half an hour while I read online troubleshooting for this problem. I plugged it back in and no change. I'm not sure how old this system is, it was here when we moved in, but I am guessing more than 5, less than 10 years old. It has worked fine up until now.

Any and all ideas are welcome. Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Sunday, August 14th 2011, 5:24pm

Read the resistances of your zone wiring. Voltage tells little.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, August 15th 2011, 2:16am

Rain Sensors are the weakest part of the system in my opinion. If the wire is cut to the rain sensor it can kill your common. Maybe the rain sensor got wet. Maybe the backflow is closed.

Good Luck, this is the first thing I check.

:thumbup: :thumbup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup:

John199

Monday, August 15th 2011, 7:13pm

Thanks for the ideas.

I don't have a rain sensor, and the backflow is open and water is at all the zones. I can open the bleeder screw and the sprinklers all come up and work normally.

What's really weird is this evening I hit my test program button just to see if everything was still broken, and the zone 1 sprinklers all came on. So I took the meter and checked the zone voltages, and zone 1 showed 25v and all 11 other zones were 0, just like I would assume they should be. So I let the test program run and it went through all the zones and turned off normally. I hope the normal program works tomorrow morning.

Now I assume it's a "glitchy" electrical problem. Either the control box or a broken wire somewhere, maybe? I don't know. I hope it stays "glitchy" working for a few weeks, since my lawn is burnt.

What's a good control box to replace this one with if it gives out all the way?

Thanks again for the input.

hi.todd

Supreme Member

Monday, August 15th 2011, 7:29pm

Hunter ProC indoor or outdoor model.

:thumbsup:
:thumbup: :thumbsup: