You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.


Starting Member


Monday, July 10th 2006, 11:50am

What type watering equip. do i need?

I have only one water spout in the back of the house and I have a garden about 200 feet away which makes hauling the hose in and out to water the garden a royal pain in the butt. The hose, which has to be so long, is too heavy to even put in a holder that can hold 200 hundred feet so we have to leave it wound up on the ground. Because of that, when I pull it out, it tends to get tangled very easily. My neighbors had people come and install and sprinkler system. The sprinklers seem like a good idea for the various gardens around the house. I honestly have no idea what to do, whether or not to use small stick-like sprinklers like the neighbors, or in ground irrigation, or a soaker hose. The biggest problem is that I can't leave the hose out on the ground because we have to cut the grass every week. THANKS FOR THE HELP!


Advanced Member


Monday, July 10th 2006, 11:58am

I guess it really depends on what you want to do, and how much money you want to spend. If you want the area automatically irrigated, then you can install an irrigation system. If you don't mind hand watering, then you could go the route of running a supply pipe below your frost line, and then install an a hose bib with a below the frost line valve.

I did this in my previous house to get water to the area where my cars were parked so I could wash the cars. It was a pain rolling up 100 plus feet of house each time i wanted to wash the cars.

Fertigation Guru

Active Member

Posts: 42

Location: USA


Tuesday, July 11th 2006, 7:55am

If you are going to go through the trouble of running a supply pipe you might as well install an automatic irrigation system. The cost will depend on the size of your garden. If you also want to have hose spigot, you can run the supply line just as DOORZ suggested, but include a "Y" off of the spigot. This will allow you to install a cheap drip timer ($25) and a drip irrigation system or a soaker hose that is independent from the rest of your system.

Rate this thread