You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 11:05pm

Some towns had the bright idea of having every home have a dual check valve (junior league version of the DCVA) at every water meter, so that the town supply would have some protection, no matter what. Only later did they realize that they had created sealed systems that included a water heater. And yes, heated water expands, and expanding water in a sealed system without an expansion tank will break things.

- an RPZ mounted outdoors in the sprinkler supply creates no need for an expansion tank.

secutanudu

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 11:10pm

Do you install strainers with your systems?

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Tuesday, July 6th 2010, 11:17pm

not on city water - always on well water

Fireguy97

Advanced Member

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 12:08am

I haven't decided whether to waste my time & money with an inspection for the sprinklers, or to just do it right, Technically, getting an inspection for my system with an RPZ or PRV would fail...meaning the permit actually made my system LESS safe.

You are welcome good luck with the install.

If you did install an RPZ, you would still be in compliance with code and by-law. Remember - that is the minimum standard that you have to follow.

Let us know what happened and the final results with the inspection.

Mick
Irrigation Contractor

Certified Backflow Assembly Tester

secutanudu

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 7:49am

What make/model RPZ would you guys recommend?

Thoughts on Lead Free?

Thanks.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 10:07am

Lead-free is California - avoid any quantum shift in technology until it shakes out on somebody else's dime. I use several models of RPZ, but my stomping grounds are not so rigorous about testing, so my viewpoint is more about operating convenience. Right now, it is the Watts 009 series that allows the RPZ to remain outdoors without any extra work required prior to winter freezes. A (cooler air) small compressor can actually blow right through the RPZ for winterizing. I wouldn't do that with a jackhammer compressor. - If you had lower water pressure, you might prefer a classic design like a Wilkins 975 - the older designs burden you with having to partially dismantle the device to get out all the water prior to wintertime.

secutanudu

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 10:38am

I was actually looking at the Watts 009 series. So the water drains out of it automatically? Can I install it inside, or does twater leak out of it under normal (or backflow) operation?

Can a blowout valve be installed after the 009? Would the air leak out as it tries to go backwards through the RPZ, preventing pressure from hitting the sprinkler heads?

I'd love to be able to do the blowouts myself...everything i read says you need a huge volume (but low pressure) compressor to get all the water out of the lines.

Wet_Boots

Supreme Member

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 1:41pm

A working RPZ won't drain automatically. It just so happens that one can blow the 009 clear with a small amount of air on the intake side. (read the manual) A classic design will have water retained in lower portions of the device, and you must partially dismantle it to get out the water.

secutanudu

Wednesday, July 7th 2010, 5:27pm

Any reason not to just put the 009 inside?

HooKooDooKu

Supreme Member

Thursday, July 8th 2010, 11:02am

Do you install strainers with your systems?

Even on city water, you'll get "stuff" in your water. www.irritationtutorials.com suggests a filter for every irrigation system. When I installed mine, I installed a 150 mesh filter ahead of the backflow preventer (DCBA) to help make sure nothing in the water supply fouls the check valves, and minimizes wear on the valves, and keeps me from having to have another filter where I have drip irrigation. And I can tell you from experience with my filter, there is indeed stuff in city water you might not expect (in my case, a splinter of wood I found caught by the filter).