You are not logged in.


Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Attention: The last reply to this post was 3832 days ago. The thread may already be out of date. Please consider creating a new thread.

Message information
Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Smiley code in your message such as :) is automatically displayed as image.
You can use BBCode to format your message, if this option is enabled.
Security measure

Please enter the letters that are shown in the picture below (without spaces, and upper or lower case can be used).

The last 10 posts

Wednesday, December 26th 2007, 7:31am

by Admin

The 42sa is Rain Bird's retail version of the 5000 series rotor and the 32sa is Rain bird's retail version of the 3500 series rotor.

Retail or "consumer" grade sprinkler products are designed and built by the manufacturer to sell side by side on the shelf next to their competitors products. The focus is therefore, on price not quality. These consumer grade sprinklers are put out by the manufacturers to be as cheap or cheaper in price than the other competitors items. They know the average consumer will not be focused on durability or longevity but will be looking at the price. They use inferior parts (seals, springs, nozzle design, etc.) to assure a lower or competitive price verses the competitor.

On the other hand, these same manufacturers design and build a Professional or "Contractors grade" version of the same products.
The Professional series sprinkler products are designed and built by the manufacturer with a focus on quality and longevity. When a professional contracting company comes to your home or business to install a sprinkler system, they want to install a system that will perform well and will last a long time. They do this so you will refer them to your friends and so they will not have to come back to replace any of the items during the warranty period they offer. Retail versions of these products are not designed to last long at all. A contractor would be destine to have to come back during or after the 1st year to replace sprinklers or valves if they use consumer grade products.

It is very simple... The Professional series sprinkler system products are designed and built to perform well and last a long time since that is the contractor's focus and need. Consumer grade sprinkler system products are built with one thing in mind - price.

You should always use professional (contractors grade) series sprinkler products since they are now available at a price you would expect to pay for the consumer grade products. The internet has made these products available to consumers at prices that years ago you would have only seen if you were a contractor buying in pallet bulk quantities. Now you can get this pricing buying any quantity. In my eyes, anyone buying consumer grade sprinkler system products these days are doing it because they do not know any better and do not know about the availability of professional series products.

Here is a page that can assist converting Rain Bird consumer part numbers to the comparable professional series part numbers:

I hope this helps.

Tuesday, August 23rd 2005, 8:34pm

by RidgeRun05

Exactly my point as stated above.

Tuesday, August 23rd 2005, 6:36pm

by schling_us

just installed 20+ 42SAs in my yard, BIG dissapointment, no where near as nice as my neighbors 5000+ series:irregular spray leaking wiper seals, and after numerous hours of looking for replacement nozzles I finaly just cut the tabs off of some new 5000 series nozzles,I wouldn't recomend them.

Tuesday, June 7th 2005, 7:13am

by RidgeRun05

Personally, I wouldn't use any of the "Home Improvement" store grade irrigation parts, but that is just me. The professional grade parts, such as the 5000 series rotor, for example, are built a lot tougher and often have better warranties than the homeowner grade parts. To me, it just looks kind of cheap when a professional contractor is installing junk from a home improvement store.

Monday, June 6th 2005, 6:30am

by Olympus Lawn Care

I have been told that there is more differences b/w the 5000 and 43sa/32sa.

the 42sa & 32sa don't have all of the same features as the 5000. I still use the 42's and 32's becase of it's ease of use. any comments? Let me know

Tuesday, June 15th 2004, 6:12pm

by GCRoberts

OK, now it makes sense. Thanks for the help.

Monday, June 14th 2004, 7:28pm


Yeah, it's the homeowners grade 5000 rotor. The 32SA is the homeowners grade 3500 model.

Sunday, June 13th 2004, 4:33pm

by SamIV

GC, you need to go to the RainBird home page and click on Contractor Installed and you will find the 5000 and the 5000 plus. You are looking at a retail product. Might very well be the same as the 5000 as RVLI has suggested.


Sunday, June 13th 2004, 7:39am

by GCRoberts

No, I don't believe so. I'm getting this directly from the Rainbird website. The Rainbird site doesn't talk about the 5000 rotor at all (with the exception of replacement parts available for it). If you go to the following link and look at their rotors (Specifically closed-case rotors)'ll find their current line-up. It looks to me like the 32SA /42SA is a replacement for the 5000 series, not another name for it.

Closed-Case Rotors:
T-Bird Series:
T-Bird - FC
T-Bird - PC




Wednesday, June 9th 2004, 2:42pm


What you have on your hands there is a rotor that I believe is for sale at home stores??? I also think that that model is the 5000 rotor, just a different number.