You are not logged in.


Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Attention: The last reply to this post was 590 days ago. The thread may already be out of date. Please consider creating a new thread.

Message information
Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Smiley code in your message such as :) is automatically displayed as image.
You can use BBCode to format your message, if this option is enabled.
Security measure

Please enter the letters that are shown in the picture below (without spaces, and upper or lower case can be used).

The last 7 posts

Sunday, June 4th 2017, 5:33pm

by mrfixit

I'm one of the people who hates unions. They slow me down and yes it's just one more place where they can leak.
Some people and even pros love the unions. As a home owner maybe you'll want them. For me it's no problem taking the bonnet off of a valve. As an installer I'd install them far enough apart so you could unscrew them without taking them apart but not always, depends, and enough pipe behind them where you can just cut them off and re-glue a new one if need be.
I don't dig the box up when changing a valve if I don't have to. I'll just dig the pipe up on the outside of the box and slip a new piece of pipe through.

Sunday, June 4th 2017, 3:08pm

by scott.kaempfe (Guest)

Another question....
Everyone suggest playing a male thread to slip adapter. I actually found a 3/4" slip to 1" thread so it will fit perfectly. My question is how would I unthread the valve from the slip fitting? I saw some say they cut the downstream lateral line as close to the threaded adapter as possible then they can unscrew that portion out. That is clear. But how do you get the valve body out? There wouldn't be enough room to spin the valve. Someone said you can remove the knob and the diaphragm which just leaves the threaded body to spin. But then I would need to do the same to get the new one on. I really don't want to dismantle a brand new valve.

People recommend not putting O ring union couplings on the upstream side bc it has constant pressure. But I just can visualize how to remove and replace in the future. I know I may be over analyzing this as its something to worry about in future years but now I'm intrigued.


Sunday, June 4th 2017, 12:40pm

by mrfixit

I'm not a fan of that Rainbird valve. They grunt and groan while turning on and off and I don't want to have to explain to people why their brand new valve has given them a new sound to concern them.
The Hunter's a good valve. Make sure you get the model with a flow control.
Myself personally, I install a lot of Irritrol 2500's

Sunday, June 4th 2017, 12:09pm

by scott.kaempfe (Guest)

Can I use 1" Hunter PGV inline valve with 3/4" PVC


So it won't affect the flow control or valve operation or anything on the 1" valve? Is there any potential downside?

I did find a 3/4" inline valve from Rainbird CPF-075. So, in your opinion, would it be better to go Rainbird CPF-075 or go the Hunter PGV valve adapting from 3/4" to 1"?

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 7:31pm

by mrfixit

Yep no problem. Just buy 1" x 3/4" male adapters.

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 3:14pm

by scott.kaempfe (Guest)

Sorry - I meant I can't have the VALVES above ground or above the sprinkler heads....

Friday, June 2nd 2017, 3:12pm

by scott.kaempfe (Guest)

Can I use 1" Hunter PGV inline valve with 3/4" PVC

I cannot have the sprinklers above the ground or above the sprinkler heads. I will add a backflow preventer on the line before it gets to the valve box.

I have a 3/4" supply line. I can only find Irritol and Orbit 3/4" inline valves (no anti siphon).

What do you think of the Orbit valves?

Can I use a 1" Hunter PGV valve with the 3/4" PVC?