You are not logged in.


Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Attention: The last reply to this post was 5546 days ago. The thread may already be out of date. Please consider creating a new thread.

Message information
Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Smiley code in your message such as :) is automatically displayed as image.
You can use BBCode to format your message, if this option is enabled.
Security measure

Please enter the letters that are shown in the picture below (without spaces, and upper or lower case can be used).

The last 9 posts

Tuesday, April 15th 2003, 3:39am

by ryounker

Thanks again. I was looking at the 1" Rainbird 100 DVF's. As mentioned earlier, I have 3/4 copper coming into the house. I was going to convert to 1" copper from the main to my double check and covert to 1" Sch 40 PVC to run to the valves outside the house. I intend to put a ball valve before the check, a boiler drain after the check to drain the main line and something before the valves to blow them out.

Monday, April 14th 2003, 4:03pm


Rainbird DV100's are all I ever install.

Monday, April 14th 2003, 3:20am

by ryounker

Thanks for the recommendation. What do you recommend for valves?

Thursday, April 10th 2003, 12:24pm


The Rainbird 5000 PLUS. The have an independent valve on the head so you can turn water off at that head only to adjust, change nozzles, etc, while all the other heads are running. The RainCurtain nozzles are great, and the 5000 series heads (SAM, PLUS) are much easier to adjust...all you need is a flat bladed screw driver.

Thursday, April 10th 2003, 3:32am

by ryounker

The reason I ask about the Hunter heads is because I used Rainbird T-birds in my old house and found them extremely difficult to adjust. In your literature it also appears that the Hunter heads have better springs and are easier to adjust. The Rainbirds win on price however. If you had to choose w/ no concern for cost, which would you go w/?

Edited by - ryounker on Apr 10 2003 2:04:15 PM

Wednesday, April 9th 2003, 12:15pm


If you are in a southern climate, I would use Schedule 40 PVC 1" Pipe. If you are in the northern part of the states, I would have a contractor pull in 1" poly for you, then you can do the rest. I prefer the Rainbird heads, but also have expirience with the Hunter I-20's. Feel free to ask anymore questions you have. Thanks!

Wednesday, April 9th 2003, 2:56am

by ryounker

I have 10 gpm. I was planning on either Rainbird 5004 or Hunter I20 rotors (Any preference here?). The lawn area measures 33'x90' and I was going to run two circuits w/ 4 rotors on each spaced at 30'. I also have a strip of lawn between the curb and the sidewalk which is 4'x90' and was going to use Rainbird 1804 spray heads, two end strips at the ends and 5 center strips spaced at 15' between them.

Tuesday, April 8th 2003, 12:41pm


What type of heads will you be using? Rotors or sprays? What is the GPM of your home?

Tuesday, April 8th 2003, 10:08am

by ryounker

Pipe sizing

I have 5/8 meter and 3/4 line coming into my house. I have a pressure pump installed after the water meter which is set to come on at 45 psi and shut off at 60 psi. I was intending to run 1 inch copper as my main to the valves and 3/4 poly for all the lateral lines. Is this sufficient? I could install 1 inch poly but I had 3/4 inch Sch 40 pipe installed under the walkway where I intend to run my laterals when the house was being built.