You are not logged in.


Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Attention: The last reply to this post was 1910 days ago. The thread may already be out of date. Please consider creating a new thread.

Message information
Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Smiley code in your message such as :) is automatically displayed as image.
You can use BBCode to format your message, if this option is enabled.
Security measure

Please enter the letters that are shown in the picture below (without spaces, and upper or lower case can be used).

The last 4 posts

Thursday, October 24th 2013, 9:50am

by Wet_Boots

You might look at the Rainbird PRF-075-RBY, which combines both functions in a single unit, and will work at the flow rate you specified.

An RPZ that do-it-yourself folks might favor is the Wilkins 375, which is designed with all the works in a removable plastic assembly, so you can take it indoors for winter storage.

Wednesday, October 23rd 2013, 10:01pm

by waterer

Ah. Thank you. A good RPZ you can recommend?

I thought installing a large filter above ground will be easier to service than three separate filters 18" below. Three filters will fit inside my box, but pressure regulators will not.

Is there a pressure reducer you can recommend (pressure regulator is even better) that is suitable for installation upstream of my valves? If not, is the flow control mechanism of my 100-DVF valves sufficient to reliable control drip zone pressure?

Thanks again.

Wednesday, October 23rd 2013, 4:57pm

by Wet_Boots

Trade in the PVB for an RPZ - when elevation is against you, it is the only no-doubts-anywhere-anytime choice. Filter the drip separately, as per accepted practice, and you reduce filter maintenance. Buy another valve box. Don't skimp on number or size of boxes, because it hurts you come maintenance time.

Wednesday, October 23rd 2013, 2:41am

by waterer

stuck with new sprinkler design

Hi. I'm a first-timer that needs help. Thank you in advance. I must have read over 100 threads so far, but I am now stuck. I would appreciate a sanity check and suggestions on component selection.

Here's a summary of the desired end state. I live in zone 7a.
1 drip zone @ about 1-2 GPM (about 5 trees)
1 drip zone @ about 1-2 GPM (20' x 5' flower bed)
1 drip zone @ about 1-2 GPM (16' x 4' raised vegetable bed)
1 sprinkler zone @ about 2.5 GPM, with 6 Hunter MP200090 rotator nozzles (25' x 15' lawn)
single zone valve box at a 12-18" depth
city water supply from 1/2" PEX @ 90psi

I have or planned the following, in the order of water flow. My questions are in parenthesis.
A. 1" PVC ball valve rated at 150psi already burried at 24" depth (should I replace with a brass valve?)
B. a suitable filter (need help choosing)
C. Wilkins 720a PBV 1" (PVC pipe suitable for the 18" riser pipes?)
D. Pressure regulator to drop to 40psi (need help choosing)
E. above three items covered by a fake plastic boulder (perhaps with a heater to extend months of operation)
F. "Premium" manifold kit (not sure about this anymore)
G. 4 Rain Bird 100-DVF valves
H. 3/4" poly lateral lines to spray heads and drip lines
I. Rain Bird ARValveKit to prevent backflow from the raised-bed drip zone that is higher than the PBV (sufficient to prevent backflow? I may bury drip lines.)

My main concern is the selection and placement of the filter and the pressure regulator. Because Rain Bird's drip zone valve kits don't really fit inside my 19"x13.5" valve box, I would like to use a master filter and pressure regulator. I have read that I will need pressure ratings >150psi to place them upstream of the valves, but I am having hard time choosing them. Perhaps I should instead install a master valve upstream of the filter and pressure regulator (which can then be plastic/cheaper 150psi components)?

I'd appreciate any input. I just want a system that doesn't require much tweaking with changing supply pressure.