You are not logged in.

Reply

Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Attention: The last reply to this post was 968 days ago. The thread may already be out of date. Please consider creating a new thread.

Message information
Message
Settings
Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Smiley code in your message such as :) is automatically displayed as image.
You can use BBCode to format your message, if this option is enabled.
Security measure

Please enter the letters that are shown in the picture below (without spaces, and upper or lower case can be used).

The last 10 posts

Monday, April 23rd 2012, 8:13am

by wsommariva

I've also heard to use some plumbers dope. I used a propane torch. Just 3 or 4 seconds. Too much and you can deform the PE which will cause a leak.

Sunday, April 22nd 2012, 6:05pm

by dave

Pushing 1/4 " black poly over barbed fitting

I can not push the barbed connector into the 1/4" Poly tube. Is there a trick to this? I noted someplace, about using a hairdryer, also a service guy told me a soap solution would help get a 1/2" compression fitting on a 1/2" line. Help.

Sunday, March 11th 2012, 1:29pm

by wsommariva

As I couldn't use The hairdryer the propane torch worked great. Thanks for the help.

Tuesday, February 28th 2012, 6:35am

by wsommariva

Thanks. I use use my best extention.

Monday, February 27th 2012, 5:49pm

by seansy59

I'm hoping the hairdryer works.

When you use the hairdryer, make sure you use at least a minimum #14 gauge extension cord. If it is over 25ft, then use a #12 gauge.
I tried a #16 gauge cord only 25ft away from the outlet, and the plug and wire melted on my cord. The #14 gauge just got very warm at 25ft. Over that, the voltage got too low for it to work, and everything overheated and the breaker tripped.
I used a #12 gauge extension cord, 50ft away, and it stayed cool, and ran fine. They are a bit pricey in the store, but worth it for many other powertools. You'd be surprised at how well your tools would run on a #12 gauge, compared to a #16 gauge. Big difference in power, and alot less strain on the motor.
Experienced it, went through it, almost burnt up the house. :cursing:

Saturday, February 25th 2012, 8:43am

by wsommariva

I'm hoping the hairdryer works.

Friday, February 24th 2012, 4:37pm

by grey

There is danger of overheating pipe with torch especially if you don't do it on a regular basis. It might fail later on. I used KY Jelly and a mallet.

Friday, February 24th 2012, 2:12pm

by wsommariva

Well, I have propane with the click lighter. If the hairdryer doesn't work out, maybe I'll try it.

Friday, February 24th 2012, 11:58am

by ReddHead

Propane torch with the click ignitor. I would evenly heat 2 or 3 ends at a fitting, slip them on, let them cool, and then crimp the clamps. They don't need much heat, maybe only a few seconds. If you overheat you can weaken the plastic too much and it will kink or twist. On a hot day in the sun you don't even need a torch. Funny pipe I didn't heat at all.

Friday, February 24th 2012, 8:04am

by wsommariva

I think I'll try the hairdryer, thanks for the tip.