You are not logged in.


Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Attention: The last reply to this post was 2556 days ago. The thread may already be out of date. Please consider creating a new thread.

Message information
Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Smiley code in your message such as :) is automatically displayed as image.
You can use BBCode to format your message, if this option is enabled.
Security measure

Please enter the letters that are shown in the picture below (without spaces, and upper or lower case can be used).

The last 10 posts

Thursday, June 23rd 2011, 12:53am

by Mitchgo

Yeah It should be fine. I test fire sprinkler system DCVA's alll the time in people's houses.. all around there houses

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 6:32pm

by grey

that's the one! So I should be fine installing it in the carpeted area then? Will this placement be troublesome for its testing afterwards?

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 5:24pm

by Mitchgo

On the west side of the cascades 95% of back flows are DCVA's ( double check valve assembly) . These one's don't drip water.

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 3:45pm

by grey

Our local codes does not specify type as long as you have it. I was leaning towards double check (DCBA) since my previous house had it. Does DCBA spill water out if there's backflow?

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 1:48pm

by HooKooDooKu

The location of a backflow preventer depends upon the type of backflow preventer you are going to use.

The question of which backflow preventer you are going to use starts by determining what is required by your local building codes. Local codes vary and can be as specific as "you must use company A, part number B" or as loose as "any industry standard backflow preventer".

The most typical options (listed in order of effectiveness) are RPZ, PBA, and DCBA (what ever those mean). If you use a DCBA, it can be installed in the same room as your meter. But many people question the use of DCBA in irrigation (it offers the least protection) and therefore may not be allowed by local building codes. If you have to use an RPZ or PBA, those will pretty much have to be installed out-doors above ground.

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 10:43am

by grey

What freezing weather? You have yet to fill in the info that posts your location.

How's that for you?

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 10:06am

by Wet_Boots

What freezing weather? You have yet to fill in the info that posts your location.

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 1:11am

by grey

Your not going to have one sprinkler head per zone are you?

:) No. I just got to that point of calculations. My total available flow is about 11-12 GPM.
How would one measure dynamic pressure beforehand?

As far as back flow device concerned. I have my water meter in the basement. It's a carpeted storage area. Should I fit backflow there or outside and then winterize it for freezing weather?

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 12:27am

by Mitchgo

Not really

Your garden hose has much more friction loss then pvc.. That's why it's not used.
Your hose bib can only supply soo much water
And your single impact head is only using 2-3 gpm.

Your not going to have one sprinkler head per zone are you?

Since you know your going to be installing your sprinkler system. Install your back flow assembly either at the point of connection after your water meter or the point of connection that enters your house. Get your flow test done and your dynamic psi measurement done too

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 12:17am

by grey

Is that how dynamic pressure measured? I was just wondering if there's anything useful in my little experiment.