You are not logged in.


Dear visitor, welcome to SPRINKLER TALK FORUM - You Got Questions, We've Got Answers. If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains how this page works. You must be registered before you can use all the page's features. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Attention: The last reply to this post was 3220 days ago. The thread may already be out of date. Please consider creating a new thread.

Message information
Automatically converts internet addresses into links by adding [url] and [/url] around them.
Smiley code in your message such as :) is automatically displayed as image.
You can use BBCode to format your message, if this option is enabled.
Security measure

Please enter the letters that are shown in the picture below (without spaces, and upper or lower case can be used).

The last 10 posts

Friday, June 25th 2010, 2:03pm

by GUEST111

Hiring A Professional

It know is sounds simple, but I have never done something like this myself. I am afraid if I try it and mess it up, I will make it worse. Like you said it takes "practice" and I don't want to practice on my own property. Thanks to all of you for help and advice.

Friday, June 25th 2010, 11:03am

by HooKooDooKu

Assuming you can find replacement valves that have the same spacing (for the vertical pipe) as the existing ones, you can do this.

If you get a contractor to do it, he's just going to do what MrFixIt is telling you to do.

All you need is either a PVC Pipe cutter (about a $15 tool that is basically a combination of a utility knife blace and ratchet pliers) for pipes upto 1-1/4", or a simple hack saw for larger pipes and basically cut the pipes just below the existing valves. (If a hack saw is used, you might need some files and/or sand paper to smooth rough edges)

Next, you just have to get the right fittings to connect the new valve to the cut pipes, connect the fittings to the valve and glue fittings to the pipe. The "gluing" process is pretty simple... you wipe the pipe with primer, let if dry, add the glue, and connect (we get get you more exact detailed instruction, it's a process that is WAY much simpler to learn than soldering copper pipe). All it takes is a touch of practice.

Thursday, June 24th 2010, 11:41pm

by GUEST111


Just a final question, what should it cost to replace all five valves and check out the system? I got a quote for $475.00 from a licensed contractor. I live in So California if that makes a difference. Thanks.

Thursday, June 24th 2010, 7:30am

by Wet_Boots

Why replace the valves, if the old ones can be repaired?

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 10:15pm

by GUEST111


All of this sounds like I need to have a professional come in and do it for me, but thanks for the help.

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 2:13pm

by mrfixit

None of your zip files worked. I can see from the two pictures posted that there's no digging required. Simply cut them off and glue new valves on. All you'll need is two male adapters for the valves unless you plan on making them taller. Then you'll need a couple of couplings.

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 1:18pm

by GUEST111

More Pictures

Some of front and some of backyard values. In the front there are 2 one inch values and one 3/4 inch value and in the back there are two 34/ inch values.
GUEST111 has attached the following files:

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 1:11pm

by GUEST111

More Pictures

Here are more pictures, some of the front and some of the backyard values.
GUEST111 has attached the following files:

Wednesday, June 23rd 2010, 12:40pm

by GUEST111


These are pictures of the valves in the backyard.
GUEST111 has attached the following files:

Tuesday, June 22nd 2010, 5:01pm

by HooKooDooKu

Unless unions were used, when it comes to removing valves, it would seem that cutting pipe is required. After all, if the valve uses threaded connections and is installed in-line, if you try to turn the valve to loosen one threaded connection, you're going to be tightening the other. If the valves have been installed in just about any other configuration, there's no way to start unscrewing one of the two attachement points until the 1st attachement point is removed... and then you're back to the problem of if unions were not involved, you've got to cut a pipe somewhere.

The only other possible exception would be if a valve itself could be disassymboled to seperate the input side from the output side, but the few valves I've ever seen, the input/output are a part of a single body.